While we may think we are doing a good job of maintaining our carpet certain everyday habits could actually be hurting it. Here are seven habits that you should break, if you want to keep your carpet looking its best.
- Vacuuming too often. While it may be tempting to break out your vacuum cleaner every day — especially in high traffic areas — vacuuming too often can damage the fibres of your carpet, causing them to unravel and pull apart. To avoid this and keep your carpet clean, make sure that you vacuum properly (slowly and in east-west then north-south direction), and no more than twice weekly.
- Not vacuuming often enough. While it may look it, your carpet is probably not as clean as you think. Carpet absorbs dust and dirt and get trapped deep down where your vacuum cleaner simply will not reach. That accumulation can really hurt your carpet over time. By vacuuming once a week — but no more than twice weekly — you can maintain your carpet in-between professional cleanings.
- Using powdered carpet fresheners. While it may be tempting to use powdered fresheners to remove odours from the carpet, doing so it the equivalent of dumping a fresh-scented pile of dirt into your carpet. While many vacuum cleaners can get most of the powder up, they cannot get all of it up. What remains essentially turns into a magnet for dust, dirt, pollen and dander.
- Using store bought carpet cleaning treatments. The products that you can find at the local store are designed to be a sort of “one size fits all” solution that aren’t, in fact, a good fit for most carpets. Furthermore, commercially available cleaners may actually strip away the stain protection that may already be on your carpet leaving it vulnerable to further staining.
- Using your vacuum incorrectly. It’s important to know what kind of carpet you have before you use all of your vacuum’s features. For instance, certain carpet types like Berber simply cannot withstand repeated use of the rotating brush of your vacuum. Forgetting to use the attachments can also allow dirt to build up on the edges of the carpet and get embedded.
- Wearing shoes inside the house. While it may be inconvenient to take off your shoes every time you come in the house, your shoes track all kinds of contaminants inside that then get ground into your carpet. A good rule of thumb: if you wouldn’t wear your shoes to bed, you shouldn’t wear your shoes inside the house.
- Not having your carpet professionally cleaned. When you use a professional Toronto carpet cleaning specialist once yearly you help maintain your carpet and extend its life. Professional cleanings help get the deep set dust, dirt, and indoor pollutants out of your carpet — and help prevent voiding your carpet’s warranty.
With a little knowledge and the help of your Toronto carpet cleaning specialist, you can keep your carpet looking great for years. To schedule carpeting cleaning for your Toronto and Greater Toronto Area home or business, please feel free to call Dr. Carpet at 647.800.5199 today!