Why You Need to Maintain the Appearance of Upholstered Furniture
Our sofas, love seats, recliners, chairs, and ottomans are used on a frequent basis and are put through normal wear and tear. Plus, there are often accidents by adults, children, and even our pets, where beverages get spilt, food gets dropped, and those unexpected incontinence accidents from toddlers and pets happen.
Maintaining the appearance of your upholstered furniture is not difficult, as long as you get into the habit of ensuring you do various things on a regular basis. When was the last time you felt between the cushions on your sofa or even lifted them up, only to be surprised by all the food crumbs, hair, dirt, remote controls, children’s toys, and change you found? Not to mention food crumbs attract ants and other pests no one likes having in their homes.
Further, not cleaning and maintaining your upholstered furniture results in an increase in dust mites. The human body constantly sheds dead skin cells all throughout the day, including while watching TV or relaxing on the sofa reading your favourite book. Dust mites consume the dead skin cells of both humans and pets, alike. For allergy suffers, an increase in dust mites can cause cold/flu-like symptoms, like a runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, and chest congestion.
Tips for Maintaining Your Upholstered Furniture
As you can see, upholstered furniture is exposed to a wide array of dirt, dust, dead skin cells, pet dander, food, drinks and other accidents. The following tips can help keep you sofa, recliner, and other furniture cleaner and make it last longer.
- Never scrub liquid spills when cleaning them up. For liquid spills it is better to blot and apply pressure to the area where the upholstery is wet. Scrubbing only spreads the liquid and if it is something that can stain, scrubbing will spread the stain.
- Remove cushion covers if possible. Some upholstered cushion covers have a zipper you can open and remove from the actual padding. For liquid accidents, it is better to remove the cover to prevent the liquid from being absorbed into the actual padding.
- Wash removable covers once a month. If the covers are made from washer-safe materials, toss them into you washer every month to remove dust mites, dirt, hair, and stuck on food crumbs.
- Vacuum furniture weekly. Using various attachments on you vacuum, make sure to vacuum non-removable covers, seat backs, cracks, and underneath pull-out cushions. This will help remove dirt, dust, dead skin cells, food particles, and hair.
- Have upholstered furniture deep cleaned by a professional at least once a year. Here at Dr. Carpet, not only do we offer carpet cleaning services, but also upholstery cleaning services in Toronto and the GTA, to get down deep into the padding and remove stains, dirt, dust, and more. We utilize a unique process which leaves no soapy residues and our products and processes are safe for you, your family, and pets!
Even if you have furniture with moving parts and other electronic functions, such as heat and massage in a recliner, our cleaning processes are the preferred method for keeping these types of upholstered furniture clean. In addition, our methods are recommended by La-Z-Boy because we keep moving parts and electronics dry during cleaning processes, which prevents electrical shorts and corrosion of metal parts.
For more information about our upholstery cleaning services or carpet cleaning, repair, patching, and stretching services, contact Dr. Carpet by calling 647.800.5199 today to request your free cleaning/repair quote!