Bulging Carpeting? Save Money by Having It Professional Stretched
Over time, your carpeting can start to become loose and start to detach from the tacking strips when it was first installed. This can occur for a variety of reasons, such as pushing and pulling furniture over the carpeting, rather than lifting it, or if it was not properly installed. Should this happen, the carpet can start to bunch up and bulge in specific areas, typically in those high-traffic areas.
If you ignore the bulges, not only do they create safety hazards in your home or business, since people could easily trip on them, fall down, and get hurt, it also causes these carpeting to wear quick in this location. With constant foot traffic, within several months to a year, the carpeting will wear away, and the bulge starts to turn into a rip with frayed edges.
The most effective way to remove bunched up section and bulges from carpeting is with carpeting pulling and stretching services in Toronto and the GTA, available from Dr. Carpet. Ideally, you will want to have these services performed as soon as you notice there is a problem with the carpeting to prevent it from becoming torn, frayed, and damaged further. However, in the event this does occur, there are repair and patching options available, as well, to ensure your carpeting’s appearance is restored.
Does Stretching Make Carpeting Last Longer?
Carpet stretching could extend the life of your carpeting in cases where it is bunching up, bulging, or has become detached from the tacking strips. Professional carpet installers use special pulling tools and other equipment to stretch the carpet, gently and carefully, so it is flatter. This process removes bulges and prevents them from be worn down faster and holes, rips, tears, and fraying from occurring.
What Prep Work Is Needed Before Carpets Can Be Stretched?
In order to correctly stretch carpeting, prior to the work, everything needs to be removed off of the carpeting. All furniture, lamps, end tables, desks, chairs, and so on, have to be taken out of the room and placed in another area of the home, temporarily. After the carpet has been stretched, the items can be replaced back into the room right away. In most cases, our professional installers can provide assistance in removing items from the room where the work is being performed.
Should I Get Any Other Related Carpeting Services Completed At the Same Time?
It is highly recommended to consider getting your carpets professional cleaned, repaired, and patched at the same time. Since everything will be out of the room, it makes performing these services simpler, easier, and faster. Patching and repair services resolve problems with cigarette, cigar, fireplace ember, and iron burns, beverage and bleach stains, seaming problems, and Berber runs. This is one of the most cost-effective and efficient ways to resolve any small areas of permanent damage to carpeting, which provides invisible results. Afterwards, most people cannot even find where the damage was before the repairs.
Here at Dr. Carpet, in the event your carpeting is well past its life and our stretching, repair and patching services cannot deliver the results you desire, our professional installers will let you know right away, so you do not waste your time or your money. Should you require new carpeting, or other flooring installation services, the experts at Dr. Carpet are here to help, and offer these and other residential and commercial installation services:
- Runner Bindings
- Stairs and Risers
- Tear Outs
- Glue Downs
- Tack and Transitions
- Specialty Gym, Office, and Theatre Carpeting
To learn more about our carpet repair, patching, stretching, cleaning, and installation services for homes and businesses in Toronto and throughout the GTA, call Dr. Carpet at 647.800.5199 now and ask for your free home/office consultation and quote appointment.
Why You Need to Maintain the Appearance of Upholstered Furniture
Our sofas, love seats, recliners, chairs, and ottomans are used on a frequent basis and are put through normal wear and tear. Plus, there are often accidents by adults, children, and even our pets, where beverages get spilt, food gets dropped, and those unexpected incontinence accidents from toddlers and pets happen.
Maintaining the appearance of your upholstered furniture is not difficult, as long as you get into the habit of ensuring you do various things on a regular basis. When was the last time you felt between the cushions on your sofa or even lifted them up, only to be surprised by all the food crumbs, hair, dirt, remote controls, children’s toys, and change you found? Not to mention food crumbs attract ants and other pests no one likes having in their homes.
Further, not cleaning and maintaining your upholstered furniture results in an increase in dust mites. The human body constantly sheds dead skin cells all throughout the day, including while watching TV or relaxing on the sofa reading your favourite book. Dust mites consume the dead skin cells of both humans and pets, alike. For allergy suffers, an increase in dust mites can cause cold/flu-like symptoms, like a runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, and chest congestion.
Tips for Maintaining Your Upholstered Furniture
As you can see, upholstered furniture is exposed to a wide array of dirt, dust, dead skin cells, pet dander, food, drinks and other accidents. The following tips can help keep you sofa, recliner, and other furniture cleaner and make it last longer.
- Never scrub liquid spills when cleaning them up. For liquid spills it is better to blot and apply pressure to the area where the upholstery is wet. Scrubbing only spreads the liquid and if it is something that can stain, scrubbing will spread the stain.
- Remove cushion covers if possible. Some upholstered cushion covers have a zipper you can open and remove from the actual padding. For liquid accidents, it is better to remove the cover to prevent the liquid from being absorbed into the actual padding.
- Wash removable covers once a month. If the covers are made from washer-safe materials, toss them into you washer every month to remove dust mites, dirt, hair, and stuck on food crumbs.
- Vacuum furniture weekly. Using various attachments on you vacuum, make sure to vacuum non-removable covers, seat backs, cracks, and underneath pull-out cushions. This will help remove dirt, dust, dead skin cells, food particles, and hair.
- Have upholstered furniture deep cleaned by a professional at least once a year. Here at Dr. Carpet, not only do we offer carpet cleaning services, but also upholstery cleaning services in Toronto and the GTA, to get down deep into the padding and remove stains, dirt, dust, and more. We utilize a unique process which leaves no soapy residues and our products and processes are safe for you, your family, and pets!
Even if you have furniture with moving parts and other electronic functions, such as heat and massage in a recliner, our cleaning processes are the preferred method for keeping these types of upholstered furniture clean. In addition, our methods are recommended by La-Z-Boy because we keep moving parts and electronics dry during cleaning processes, which prevents electrical shorts and corrosion of metal parts.
For more information about our upholstery cleaning services or carpet cleaning, repair, patching, and stretching services, contact Dr. Carpet by calling 647.800.5199 today to request your free cleaning/repair quote!
Many Toronto homes have carpeting, which requires regular cleaning. Most homeowners know they need to clean their carpeting, but are not sure how often they need it professionally cleaned. They also look for ways to help maintain their carpet for years to come. These tips and suggestions will help you maintain the appearance of carpeting and help you determine how often to get them cleaned by a professional carpet cleaning company in Toronto.
- Keep as much as the dirt outside as possible. As any parent will tell you, keeping dirt outside when you have children is next to impossible. The easiest way to help with this is to insist that everyone who enters your home take their shoes off. You will find that many different cultures have this as a part of their daily routine. The removal of your shoes helps to limit the amount of dirt that is brought into your home and helps keep your carpets looking clean longer.
- Frequent vacuuming is important. Vacuuming your home once or twice a week can help your carpet last longer. However, high traffic areas should be vacuumed at least twice a week, sometimes three, depending on the amount of traffic, and helps improve the longevity of your carpeting. Make between four to six passes in the high traffic areas and between two to three passes in other areas is the best way to get as much dirt out of your carpeting as possible.
- Clean stains and spots when you notice them. Many carpets have stain protection, but you still have to clean the stains spots, otherwise this protection will become ineffective. When you do spot and stain cleaning, remember to blot the stained area and to never scrub. In addition, you should avoid getting the carpeting overly wet and soaked as this can lead to other problems, like mold and mildew underneath the carpeting.
- Move furniture and rearrange rooms to improve the longevity of your carpeting and keep it looking like new longer. By rotating, moving, or rearranging the placement of furniture every six months, it helps ensure even wear of the carpeting and helps it last longer.
- Get carpeting professional cleaned on a regular basis to maintain its appearance. Most carpet manufacturers recommend having carpeting professional cleaned every 12 to 18 months. If you do not maintain a schedule of regular professional carpet cleaning, it could potentially void the warranty on your carpeting. This is not that often and many people make it part of their spring cleaning regimen, to ensure they remember to have their carpets cleaned annually.
- Have carpeting patched and repaired to extend its life. Having your carpet patched and repaired from an experienced carpet patching company in Toronto will also help increase the longevity of your carpets.
Eventually, your carpeting will need to be replaced, even when using the above tips and suggestions. The average home carpeting requires replacement every seven to ten years, or so. Usually, homeowners consider carpet replacement when they are renovating or remodeling their home or have recently moved into a new home and have no idea how old the current carpeting is, it is in desperate need of replacement, or they want a different colour more suitable to their tastes.
For more information about professional carpet cleaning, carpet repair, and carpet patching services in Toronto, please feel free to contact the experts at Dr. Carpet today by phoning 647-800-5199. We are happy to help you maintain and get the most life out of the carpeting in your GTA home.