Before you spend hundreds of dollars replacing a carpet, you may way to consider simply repairing your carpet. When you use an experienced carpet repair service they can affordably solve problems resulting from things like wrinkling, stains, fading, and snags. Repairing a carpet does not take a long time, but it does take a professional to get the job done correctly.
What is carpet repairing?
Carpet repairing is simply removing a damaged piece of carpet and replacing it with a matching piece. This piece may be a leftover remnant from the original installation, a sample piece from the shop, or it could be a piece taken from a closet or other area that isn’t likely to be seen every day (the bad patch of carpet may be used in the spot where the patch was taken from).
Once the professional carpet repair technician has found a suitable replacement, he or she will carefully cut out the part of the carpet to be replaced. The replacement piece is attentively fitted into the hole in the carpet and is glued in place. Seams are rendered invisible and the carpet is trimmed to match the surrounding areas.
What to look for in a carpet repair service.
While there are many services out there that advertise carpet repair and even do-it-yourself kits available, it’s always the best choice to a professional carpet repairing company. A professional carpet repair service will:
- Be licensed, bonded, and insured
- Have trained technicians on staff
- Provide a thorough and detailed quote
- Confirm pricing before the job begins
- Warranty their work
When determining which Toronto carpet repair service to use, you should get several quotes and compare them. A reputable company will provide a detailed quote that will include the price for materials and labour costs associated with the scope of work, and not include any hidden fees. The company should also be able to provide you with a quote, whether in person, on line, or over the phone. Some other things to consider when choosing a carpet repair service provider:
• Are they able and willing to provide MSDS for the materials they use? A good service should be able to provide MSDS for the materials they use when you request them.
• Do they call to confirm your appointment before arriving? Courtesy is a benchmark of professionalism.
• Is their pricing competitive within the current market? A professional carpet repair service will have their finger on the pulse of their industry and know what the market can support.
If you have further questions about carpeting repair services, or to get your free quote, please feel free to contact Dr. Carpet at 647.800.5199. We specialize in all kinds of carpet repairs for loose, buckling, frayed, torn, stained, and water damaged carpets in the Greater Toronto Area.
Carpets do not generally have an expiration date. What is considered a lifetime will vary from room to room and how frequently that room is used. Family room carpeting may need to be professionally repaired or replaced more often than carpeting in a rarely-used dining room. However, there are signs that it’s time to say good-bye to your old carpeting.
The Carpet Looks a Little Threadbare
In heavily trafficked areas, like hallways and family rooms, you may notice the telltale sign of a carpet that needs to be replaced. If you see the carpet backing through the top of the carpeting, it is time to replace the carpet. Fraying along the edges of the carpet is another sign that it is time to start looking for new carpet.
The Carpet Fibres are Flattened
If you have vacuumed and combed and the fibres of your carpet are still lying flat, it’s time to replace your carpet. The materials that your carpet may be made of – polyester and olefin fibres – are more prone to matting, especially in high traffic areas.
If you are starting to notice ripples in your carpet, the carpet is stretched and warped. You may need to replace the carpeting, but call your local Toronto carpet stretching company to check it out first.
Do You Know How Old Your Carpet Is?
Carpets do not necessarily need to be replaced just because they are old. But if you can’t remember how old the carpeting is or if it came with your home when you moved in, it is probably time to replace the carpeting.
What’s That Smell?
If you have had your carpets professionally cleaned and still can’t get that odor out, it may be time to replace your carpet. Carpets are absorbent and trap dust, dander, debris, and allergens. Over time it becomes more difficult to remove all of the problem particles – even with professional cleaning.
The same rule applies to stains as well. If you have had your carpets professionally treated for stains and they still won’t come out, it may be time to replace your carpet.
When Your Carpet’s Color is Shifting
Carpet that is in high traffic areas or in areas that have a lot of natural lighting are more prone to fading. Spots of lighter color or a generally faded carpet may not be reason enough to replace your carpet, but if you are experiencing any other issues, you may want to consider replacing your carpet.
Do you always need to replace a carpet that shows these signs? Not always. Sometimes you can simply repair parts of carpet that are beyond their prime. To find out if it is time to replace your carpet or if you simply need a professional carpeting patching service, call Dr. Carpet at 647.800.5199 today!
If you are like most people with carpeting in your home, you probably think that regular vacuuming and spot treating stains is enough to maintain your carpet. While vacuuming should be part of routine carpet maintenance, it is often not enough to thoroughly clean your carpets.
You may also be surprised to learn that many carpet warranties require regularly scheduled professional carpet cleanings. Still not convinced? Here are five more reasons to have your carpets cleaned by a professional carpet cleaning company.
1) Vacuuming isn’t enough. We already mentioned that vacuuming really isn’t enough to get your carpets thoroughly cleaned. Steam is the most effective method for lifting dust, allergens, pollen, pet dander, and other particles trapped in your carpet. Vacuuming can certainly put a dent in the accumulation in your carpet, but if you want to keep your home truly dust and allergen free, steam cleaning is the way to go.
2) You shouldn’t steam clean carpets yourself. Only steam can effectively lift all that dust and other fine particulate matter from your carpet. While there are non-professional versions of steam cleaners available they pale in comparison with professional-grade versions. Only a professional-grade machine can truly remove all the moisture that a thorough steam cleaning leaves.
3) Moisture can cause mold. When you don’t hire a professional carpet cleaning company, you may not be getting all of the moisture out of your carpets. The trapped moisture can lead to mold growth underneath your carpets and turn your home into an incubator for mold growth.
4) Professionals know what products to use on your carpet You wouldn’t bring your beloved pet to a mechanic for check-ups, and you shouldn’t use just any product on your carpet. Every carpet is different – from the fibres used to the pile – and requires different levels of care and the use of different products. Professional carpet cleaners have the experience and know-how to maintain your carpet.
5) Cleaning your carpet prolongs its life. We tend to take the flooring in our homes for granted. Leaving dust, dander, and allergens in your carpet can actually wear down the fibres and shorten the life of your carpet – requiring you to replace or repair it much sooner than you expected. Furthermore, if you weren’t having your carpets regularly professionally cleaned your warranty may no longer be valid.
You can keep your carpet for a lifetime if you keep it clean. Hiring your local Toronto carpet cleaning service for regular routine maintenance will keep your carpet clean, reduce allergens, and improve the air quality in your home. To find out more information about carpet cleaning services, carpet repairs, area rug cleaning, and other related services, please call Dr. Carpet at 647.800.5199 today!